Sunday, August 5, 2012

Breastfeeding: What I learned along the way...

Here are 15 things that I did not know going into this journey that maybe would have made things a little easier. My hope is that it teaches someone something that might help lead to a successful nursing relationship with their baby.

(and of course for fun I included some pictures of the boys because all mommies like sharing those)


1. Nurse within the first hour.

With Nathan they kept telling me to wait but I should have followed my instincts and tried to nurse within the first hour. Studies show breastfeeding within the first hour leads to increased infant survival, more likelihood of exclusive breastfeeding, helps the uterus to contract down in size (less bleeding) and numerous other benefits. Plus the baby is more alert immediately after birth and then they may enter a sleepy phase. A mother's colostrum smells similar to the amniotic fluid so sometimes and infant will amazingly wiggle to the breast on their own guided by the smell (incredible huh?) There are numerous benefits of skin-to-skin contact for both mother and baby so even if you choose not to nurse it's important that you still place the baby on your chest.


2. Wait until nursing is established before introducing a pacifier or bottle.

A pacifier is what sabotaged our nursing relationship in the first place with Nathan so with Luke I waited a few weeks and then he never wanted one. However I do see pictures of friend's babies with a pacifier in the hospital and they continued to nurse fine so there are exceptions.

(Nathan 2 months)


3. Nursing Pads and Nursing Bras

Nursing bras make feeding in public much easier, quicker, and more discreet. I loved the bestform brand at walmart but when I recently lost some weight the bands were too big. So I ended up going to a breastfeeding/baby essentials store and getting a few nicer nursing bras and they make a world of difference! I wish I did that sooner.

I recommend getting one or two before you have the baby. Ask around to see what size to get but typically at least a cup size bigger. I found it helpful to get a nursing bra that sort of looks like a sports bra and not getting a "nicer" one until a week or so after baby is born and your milk is established so you know what size you need.

Nursing pads are helpful because while you are feeding your baby on one side the other side will leak. It also helps if you experience a let down when you are not feeding your baby.


4. The Let Down Reflex

I had no idea what a let down was when I began my nursing relationship with Nathan. The let down reflex (when your milk flows towards the nipple to be extracted) can be stimulated by your baby's suckling, hearing your baby cry (or another even another baby), seeing your baby or a picture of your baby, or even just thinking about nursing.

I've learned that it can feel different for each momma. Ranging from a pulling sensation, tingles, or even not feeling it at all. At first it was slightly painful with Nathan. If I was talking to someone I had to pause a few seconds so it could pass. This quickly lessened until it was no longer painful but more of a pulling sensation or what it feels like when your leg fell asleep and is waking up. With Luke I never had pain with it.

In the earlier stages of nursing I could have a let down if I just thought about my baby. If I was away from him I might be thinking about how he will be due to nurse soon and that alone would be enough to cause a let down (this is when nursing pads are handy!) Over time this lessened for me. By the time my babies were a few months I would no longer have let downs when away from them but only during nursing.


(Luke 7 months)


5. Nurse on demand and choose nursing over pumping when possible.


In the weeks after birth feeding the baby whenever the baby wants helps to build a good milk supply. If you choose to put your baby on a schedule eventually that is a personal choice but in the first several weeks it is recommended to nurse frequently.

With Nathan I often chose to pump and bottle feed especially if we were leaving the house. I think choosing the pump over the baby may have been one of the reasons my milk decreased. With Luke I never pump when I could nurse him instead. I haven't read about it but maybe the act of nursing stimulated more milk production than the pump does.


6. Find a good Lactation Consultant (before baby is born)

As with every profession some people are better at it than others. If you are interested in nursing (and I hope you are!) find a good LC (patient, willing to listen and answer questions, one you feel comfortable with) and get acquainted before baby is born. Have her come to the hospital if possible. Also many hospitals now have breastfeeding support centers that you can visit anytime after baby is born at no extra cost.


7. Small or preterm babies may have more trouble latching.

There are multiple reasons to keep baby inside as close to 40 weeks as possible. An easier time breastfeeding is one of them. A baby born at 39 weeks is more likely to latch properly than a 37 week baby (I found out later that Nathan was small because the preeclampsia limits the nutrients to the baby so they grow at a slower rate. My doctor did not inform me that he may be small so we were surprised. Also I didn't know smaller babies may have a harder time learning to nurse.)




8. It's all about supply and demand.

I went over this before. But the more milk that is removed the more your body will make.


9. Drink more water

And after you drink more water then drink more water. And then more. Here, want some water?

Your body can't make milk without it. I always kept snacks and water next to whichever seat that I commonly nursed in. That way while baby is eating you can to! In the very beginning stages you'll need both hands to help baby but before long you can nurse practically hand free (look mom! no hands!) especially if you use a nursing pillow (the "my breast friend" pillow was my favorite)


10. Fore milk and hind milk

The milk that first comes out is more watery and the milk towards the end of the nursing session contains more fat. Because I produced a large amount of milk in the beginning with Luke he was filling up on fore milk and was't getting enough hind milk (I knew because a baby that doesn't get enough hind milk will have green bowel movements instead of mustard yellow) I couldn't figure if it was best to let him nurse on both sides or empty one side. I eventually made sure he at least emptied one side and then he started getting more hind milk. Everyone has an opinion on when/if to switch them to the other side during each nursing session so you have to figure out what works best for baby and your body.


11. When does this milk show up anyways?

It is common to leak colostrum during the pregnancy but even if you don't your body should still produce it when baby is born. Recent studies show that 95% of mothers are physically capable of breastfeeding their baby so don't worry if you don't leak.

For a first time mom the average time it takes from colostrum to switch to milk is 3-4 days (but that can even extend to 5-6 days). For second time moms about 2-3 days. Just from talking to people I often hear people say they wanted to breastfeed but were concerned their milk wasn't coming in in time. It's actually best for it to take several days because the colostrum is SO good for the baby- giving them a ton of immunity.


12. Babies' tummies are really really small.

The newborn's tummy is so small that they don't need much! That's why colostrum is sufficient for baby's first days. Day 1 the stomach is the size of a marble, day 3 a "shooter" marble, and day 7 a ping pong ball.

(from www.llli.org)


When someone says where your baby is on a growth chart double check and make sure it is a growth chart for breastfed babies (if you are bfing) I have heard several stories of mother's really worrying that their baby isn't growing enough when compared to the formula fed growth chart only later to find out that they were completely normal on the breastfeeding chart. The important thing is that your baby is gaining weight- although how much can vary from baby to baby.


13. It (can) help you lose weight.


(this tidbit of advice doesn't make nursing any easier per se but I included it because it is a nice incentive!)
Some women hold onto their weight when breastfeeding. Some lose weight easier. You can be burning about 500 calories or more a day by nursing! It's the best workout I know. You can sit and even eat while you are losing calories. Yippee!



I went back to my pregnancy weight shortly after having Luke (I had only gained 15 lbs) and then I lost 30 more lbs. I did go on weight watchers briefly to stimulate the weight loss but most of it is attributed to breastfeeding. My metabolism gets fast after birth. I lost a ton of weight after having Nathan too. Having struggled with a yo-yo weight pattern for all of my adult life I will have to start watching what I eat again when it's time for Luke to wean.


14. Nurse even while sick.


Flu? Virus? Cold? If mom gets sick the best way to keep baby safe is to continue breastfeeding. Chances are by the time you realize you are sick the baby has already been exposed as well. Your milk contains antibodies for whatever ails mom and protects your baby. I had strep when Luke was 6 weeks old and I kept nursing the entire time.


15. Got Teeth?


By the time I finished nursing Nathan his first tooth still hadn't broke through. By 8 months Luke had eight teeth. He doesn't hurt me. It's similar to drinking through a straw in a way- you don't use your teeth for that right? He has tried to bite me maybe 3 times total and each time it wasn't hard. He was just trying it out and when he saw the negative reaction from me (saying "ow" and "no no Luke!") he stopped. He hasn't even tried it in several months. Nursing a baby with teeth isn't as scary as it sounds. (or course this is just my experience, I do have friends that have been bitten)


Helpful Resources...

Here are several websites that I found when I was researching breastfeeding before I had Luke. They have been very helpful.

www.breastfeedingbasics.com

www.kellymom.com

www.llli.org

www.breastfeeding.com

Book: The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding (haven't read it but it has been recommended to me several times)



Tomorrow's post I'll discuss pumping and being a working mom while nursing as well as the blessing of donating breast milk.

(These opinions are mine and only gained from the experiences I have had and articles I have read. If your pediatrician tells you something that is in conflict of anything that I said please discuss it with your doctor and do what you feel is right for you and your baby. Remember that I am not a doctor by any means!)

2 comments:

  1. I wished I had read The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding BEFORE birth!

    I also want to point out that not all woman "leak." The only times I ever leaked were when I was full of milk overnight and lay on my side, compressing the milk out.

    I bought a My Brestfriend pillow and found that it was not so practical for less-endowed women. If your boobs are not so high on your chest, it's great, but otherwise, you either need to slouch--NO!--or have an extra pillow. Might as well just use regular pillows?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah I think I do leak more than other women but maybe it's because I have so much more milk this time. I still leak on one side while Luke nurses on the other. I made the mistake of going one day without nursing pads and when he nursed in public it soaked my shirt!

      I loved the breastfriend pillow with Nathan but never used it with Luke. It just seemed more comfortable to nurse him without it. But maybe it's because I dropped more since then thanks to breastfeeding haha. At least nursing and having babies only ruins parts of your body only your husband sees! Grateful for that!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...