Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Breastfeeding: My Introduction

Today is the beginning of World Breastfeeding Week.

I had been contemplating sharing my experiences with breastfeeding on this blog for some time. Recently I had a few pregnant friends ask for advice because it is something they are interested in so I figured this coming week would be the perfect opportunity.

For something that has been a huge part of humanity from the beginning it breaks my heart at how little we know about breastfeeding as a society. I truly hope that changes and America's view of it improves.

We need more encouragement, support, understanding and much more education. The less we focus on pointing fingers at formula in a negative way and focus more on educating soon to be new moms- the statistics of babies breastfed until or beyond the mother's original goal will naturally rise. A majority of moms plan to breastfeed but then lack of support often leads them to not meeting their goals.

There was so much I didn't know when I gave birth to Nathan 4 years ago. Before I had him I heard a few moms say "It's one of the hardest things I ever did but also the most rewarding." I would think to myself "One of the hardest things? How hard can it be...?" but now I completely understand that statement and have uttered (heh) it a few times myself.

My first son was a small premie who did not latch well and ended up on formula several months later. My second son was a full term baby who latched right on and never looked back! I also have went through pumping in different working environments and donating milk to the milk bank and others in need. I look forward to sharing all I know about these topics which may not be a lot but if I can help one person it will be worth typing it out!

My hope is that by sharing my story someone might want to "give it a go" because it is honestly one of the most rewarding things I have ever done.

And I know that's an over used statement but I truly mean it!

So check back this week!

Thursday- Nathan's Story Part 1
Friday- Nathan's Story Part 2
Saturday- Luke's Story
Sunday- What I wish I knew...
Monday- Pumping/Donating
Tuesday- Final thoughts

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...