Wednesday, September 19, 2012

K is for art

Marcus' family is from a small town in Indiana called New Harmony. It's sort of tourist attraction around here because it's a failed utopia. The mascot from the school Marcus attended was the Rappite (a follower of the man who founded the utopia, I'm told) so his "followers" were the Rappites.

But it failed. Because utopias are all nice and stuff in theory except it doesn't work. Not here on earth. But what was left was this neat little historic town that has many original buildings and houses and gives you that "small town feel."

While visiting family in New Harmony this past weekend we decided to check out the 30th annual Kunstfest (it means "art" in German). We strapped Luke in the stroller and Marcus, Nathan, my mother in law Dale, and I enjoyed the perfect pre-fall weather and looked at booths of homemade trinkets and ooo'ed and ahhhh'ed at all the yummy food (except the pig brain sandwiches- I wasn't aware that people ate pig brains. I usually try all things once but had no desire to try that although I hear it's delicious-eeeee)



I love this photo! I just have a basic point and shoot camera that I hardly know how to work but sometimes I feel like I can get a decent photo out of it (even if my the reflection of my hands is in the picture). This is Nathan inside of a firetruck. Unfortunately my camera died immediately after taking this so the rest of the photos are courtesy of my iphone.


This is an "outside church"...basically it's four brick walls that enclose this huge courtyard with this amazing dome on one end. This is where my brother in law and sister in law got married.






The New Harmony Welcome center. It was interesting to me that a town with a lot of history has such an abstract/new architecture welcome center.





Historic Cabins. I couldn't imagine living in one of these with a huge family. I bet they were happy though. Too busy surviving to worry about silly things.



 Enjoying homemade ice cream.



I saw this sweet blankie and Dale bought it for Luke. He loves it!




I bought Nathan this top for $1. Best money ever spent. 
(We were visiting Marcus' grandma in the nursing home here)


It's always nice getting away for the weekend and just hanging out with family. We had a little drama while we were there because Nathan's cheek swelled up and we couldn't figure out what was wrong. He was in a little pain from it. A trip to the Urgent Care on Sunday led to a vague diagnoses of parotitis- basically his parotid gland was swollen but we'll never know why. Thankfully it's been getting better every day since.








No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...