Monday, September 23, 2013

Kevin's Birth Story: Part 2

Read Part 1 here.

I was very excited that the anesthesiologist came almost immediately. Stacy told Marcus he could be present but had to remain seated. She raised my bed up so high that I thought I was going to go through the ceiling and had me sit up with my legs dangling off the side and slouch as much as possible. And of course the hardest part of all...I had to remain perfectly still. Not an easy task during hard contractions!

After the sound of several packages being opened and my back being sterilized I braced for the numbing shot. Yeah, it hurt but I knew that it was bringing me relief soon. Stacy was supporting me and holding my arms and I was silently crying during each hard contraction (I internalize when I'm in pain and get very quiet) I was so quiet the nurse kept asking if I was okay.

The numbing shot took effect and now it was time for the epidural. I felt the weird and slightly painful sensations as the anesthesiologist continued to work on me. And continued. And continued. Contraction after contraction after contraction. I started to noticed this took much longer than with my other babies and worried what was wrong.

Duuuuuuddddeeee....what is the deal?! I wanted to scream.

Fear began to grip me. A million thoughts flooded my mind.

Why was he taking so long? I broke out in a cold sweat and started to shake. I, who never sweat usually, was sweating so much that I felt it just running off of me which I'm sure probably didn't help what the anesthesiologist was trying to do.

Every once in a while I would barely lift my eyes to Marcus to silently communicate "What the heck is taking so long?! I'm in major pain." 

I wanted to ask what was wrong but the words would not make it out of my mouth before I was racked by another hard contraction. I know in reality this probably only took maybe 20 minutes but it felt like an eternity at the time.

Finally the anesthesiologist spoke up and asked me if it felt like he was centered. I managed to speak enough to say that he felt too far to the right. He relocated the catheter (a very weird sensation) and continued to push and pull on me. Shortly after he spoke up again and said "I am 100% sure that the catheter is in the right location but I cannot get the epidural to thread through. It's like trying to get a wet noodle through a tube that is too small."

I said "Maybe it's a faulty catheter and you need a new one." He agreed and opened a new package. Within seconds he said "There! I'm done!" and I was so relieved that I could move. The tape to hold the epidural in place wouldn't even stick to me since I had sweat so much during the whole ordeal.

(I don't think he did anything wrong and I don't hold anything against him. I do think it was just a faulty package however I do wish he realized that sooner than he did.)

I knew pain relief was on it's way and I was eager for it. After some time passed I felt some numbness on my right side but my left side still felt like it did before. Stacy checked me and said I was 5cm and the baby had moved about half way down. We were making progress but where was my pain relief?

20 minutes after the epidural I was still feeling everything on the left side and my right side was somewhat numb but not very much so. I began to worry that the epidural wasn't going to work and started mentally pep talking myself into possibly giving birth without it. I knew I could if I had to. But honestly...I didn't want to.

Stacy sent a message to the anesthesiologist that I had a "window" and that he was needed again. (Apparently a "window" means an area that the pain relief didn't take affect) She left for lunch (thinking this might be her only chance to go since I was progressing) and promised that she would hurry. Another nurse stepped in to care for me in her absence.

The anesthesiologist came back in and I explained the problem. He said because of my height I might just need a slightly larger dose. We talked about the possibility that the epidural wasn't going to work at all and we both agreed that if so it would be best not to redo it since I was progressing and it was not going to be a long labor. He upped my dose, wished me good luck and left.

Not long afterwards I felt coldness spread through my body as the medicine took effect and all my muscles started to relax from the waist down. A feeling of complete comfort oozed it's way through my body and I started to relax. Ahhh. Sweet relief.

Keeping family and friends updated via facebook.

My nurse Stacy came back eager for a status report. She had worried about me during lunch and was thrilled to know that the epidural was now working perfectly.

She left me to labor peacefully for a little while and returned a little after 1pm to turn my pitocin down since my contractions were getting a little too close for comfort. I said "I'm starting to feel some pressure" and she said she should check me.

She did and her eyes got real big. 

She said "Well....there definitely has been some progress!! You are a 10 and the baby is all the way down. You're ready to push!"

I had gone from 5cm to 10cm in an hour! It was time to have a baby!

To be continued...(hopefully later today if I can get to it)


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...