Monday, July 16, 2012

7 things I wish I never learned...

As I was walking back to work after lunch I was staring at the beautiful puffy white clouds. They were the type of clouds that were so perfect they didn't even look real.

It made me think about my childhood and how I used to think they were solid. As in- if you somehow got up there you could lay on them and bounce from one cloud to another.

And then I thought how much of a bummer it was when I learned that they are made of water vapor and if I did get up there I would just fall to the earth.

When I got back to work and began scraping tartar off of my patient's teeth (which is when I do my best "thinking" if I'm not talking to my patient) I started to recall other things that I learned growing up that somewhat dampened the childlike magic in how I perceived the world as a girl.

So here's the list that I came up with.

Here are 7 things I wished I never learned

(but for the sake of being a normal functioning adult in our society it's good that I did learn them)


1. Character Costumes

It was much more fun thinking the shockingly huge Mickey Mouse was indeed the infamous rodent himself instead of a sweaty guy in a costume that probably smells like a middle school locker room on the inside.


2. Honeymoon

A newly married couple literally flew to the moon following the ceremony. You didn't know that? Well- that's what I thought anyways. I remember pondering how the "honey" part was involved. Did they eat it? Did they swim in it? Did the make a honey slip n slide? I wasn't sure about that part but I truly believed in the outterspace postnuptial trip.


3. Santa Claus

Christmas was just much more exciting as a kid when I thought he was real. I believed for a long time because my dad once went as far as throwing pebbles on the roof in the middle of the night one Christmas Eve. Of course- Christmas is a time we celebrate the Savior's birth. However the world did seem a little dimmer after I figured out the truth about the jolly big guy.


4. The world is REALLY big. I mean- reeeallly big.

You mean you can't see Disney World from high up here on a fair ride in North Carolina?

My 3 year old self was SO convinced the factory I could see from a distance when I was on a swing ride at a fair was truly Disney World that my parents literally had to go drive by the factory to show me otherwise.

I guess I wouldn't stop talking about it and my stubborn self KNEW I was right.

I thought that from the whopping height of 30 feet I could see everything in the whole world.

When I saw that it was smoke columns and not Cinderella's castle I was crushed.


5. Summer

I thought summer lasted a whole year.

Like- we went to school for a year. And then had a year off.

My whole concept of time was completely altered when I understood that summer was just a few months.


6. Velcro

Or Bear-crow?

When I was in middle school a friend said "wait a minute Amanda- did you just say bear crow? It's Velcro!"

Up until then I thought it was pronounced bear-crow. Which made much more sense to me. The soft part stood for the bear and the scratchy part stood for the crow.

Pssh. Velcro. Who comes up with this stuff?

Bear crow makes much more sense.


(and the truth that devastated me the most and truly rocked my childhood world of make-believe)
7. Mr. Rogers

What?

Those are PUPPETS????

NNNOOOOO!!!!

---------------------------------

What truth crushed one of your childhood perceptions that you sorta wish you never learned?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...